EM Resident’s top stories of 2016 are as varied and dynamic as the field they represent. From advice for medical students to a range of clinical updates, you clicked and read and stayed informed. We’re looking forward to bringing you even more top news in 2017! Follow us on Twitter (@emresidents) and submit an article yourself.
Now, on to the countdown. The top 10 stories of 2016 were. . .
- Sepsis-3: Redefining Sepsis
Mariana Guerrero, MD, and Sarah Perman, MD, MSCE
- Ahead of the Curve: Assessment of Fluid Responsiveness in the ED
Clark Owyang, MD, Ram Parekh, MD, and Chad Meyers, MD
- Confirmation of Endotracheal Intubation with Bedside US
Marsia Vermeulen, DO, and Jennifer Beck-Esmay, MD
- Resident Duty Hours: On the Brink of Change Again?
Alison Smith, MD, MPH, Hans House, MD, FACEP, and Stephen Wolf, MD, FACEP
- PAs in the ED: What Do Residents Need to Know?
Terry Carlisle, PA-C, Michelle Seithel, PA-C, and Chadd Kraus, DO, DRPh, MPH
- REBOA: A Precious (Life)line
Megan Simon Thomas, MD, and Danish Malik, MD
- Redefining the (Emergency) Physician-Astronaut
Faye T. Pedersen, MD, and Jennifer S. Jackson, MD
- Introducing the ALTO Alternatives to Opioids Program
David Traficante, DO, Katrina D’Amore, DO, MPH, and Alexis M. Lapietra, DO
- Top 10 Ways to Ace Your Away Rotations
Sean Ochsenbein, MSIV, Adam Kellogg, MD, Michael Spigner, MD, and Dru Morgan, MD
Hats off to a couple of stories that have stood the test of time and continue to gain traction more than a year after they were published:
- Post-Intubation Hemodynamic Collapse in the Critically Ill Patient
Naomi George, MD
- Diagnosing the Match: Trends in the Applicant Selection Process
Zach Jarou, MD, and Adam Kellogg, MD