Provided by PEER VIII. PEER (Physician’s Evaluation and Educational Review in Emergency Medicine) is ACEP’s Gold Standard in self-assessment and educational review. These questions are from the latest edition of PEER—PEER VIII, which made its debut at ACEP’s 2011 Scientific Assembly. To learn more about PEER VIII or to order it, go to www.acep.org/bookstore.
- Which of the following statements correctly differentiates small-volume hemoptysis from hematemesis?
A. Hematemesis is accompanied by bile
B. Hematemesis is dark red and alkaline
C. Hemoptysis is accompanied by mucus
D. Hemoptysis is bright red and alkaline
- A 43-year-old man presents after one episode of bloody emesis. He first had multiple episodes of forceful vomiting and diarrhea after eating at a new Chinese restaurant. He has had no further emesis and otherwise appears well, and he has no significant past medical history. What is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Boerhaave syndrome
B. Esophageal varices
D. Mallory-Weiss syndrome
- Which of the following injuries can be safely repaired by an emergency physician?
A. 0.5-cm lower eyelid laceration at the medial canthus
B. 1-cm horizontal upper eyelid laceration with a small area of exposed fat
C. Lower eyelid laceration with a small area of avulsed tissue
D. Oblique, partial-thickness laceration of the upper eyelid
- A 55-year-old woman presents with shortness of breath that has worsened over the past several weeks and is worse during exertion and at night. Which of the following clusters of radiographic findings is most characteristic of cardiogenic pulmonary edema?
A. Cardiomegaly, Kerley B lines, and pulmonary venous redistribution
B. Cephalization, Kerley A lines, and widened mediastinum
C. Hampton hump, fluid in the minor fissure, and bat-wing infiltrates
D. Interstitial infiltrates, pleural effusion, and Westermark sign
- Which of the following causative organisms of pneumonia is also associated with rash and bullous myringitis?
A. Bordetella pertussis
B. Legionella pneumophila
C. Mycoplasma pneumoniae
D. Yersinia pestis
Answers 1. D 2. D 3. D 4. A 5. C